[Ptools-perfapi] exact meaning of counters

Vince Weaver vweaver1 at eecs.utk.edu
Thu Feb 24 17:08:13 EST 2011

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011, Nicolas Bock wrote:

> is there a place where I can find out more about how the counters are
> defined, i.e. what they measure exactly? I am wondering in particular
> (at least right now :) about:
>
> PAPI_FP_INS
> PAPI_FP_OPS
> PAPI_SP_OPS
> PAPI_VEC_SP

You can see how these are defined in the papi_events.csv file includes
with PAPI.  These will tell you which native counters they map to.

>From there you'll have to look them up in the relevant hardware manual,
such as the Intel Software Architecture Software Developer Manual Volume
3B (or the equivelent if it's some other brand of processor).

Unfortunately the events are never described very well, so to find out
exactly what's counted might require experimentation.

Vince